Tuesday 19 May 2015

Kathmandu and home


Kathmandu and home

What would you expect to see in a city hit by a 7.9 earthquake? Utter devastation?

Well yes for some parts, some of the older parts are in ruins. It is terrible when you come across a destroyed house with personal belongings mixed with the rubble. A lot of the historical places have suffered damage.

However the majority of the city is not that badly damaged, with some streets showing no evidence. It has been a week since the first tremor and a lot of tidying up has happened. The city is getting back to normal, shops, bars and restaurants open, people making a living and mad traffic. We go out for a celebratory meal and drinks. we are all OK.
 
 


Just as a reminder after shocks still occur, sometimes enough to encourage you to get to safer ground.

Just two flights will get me home, one to Delhi and then to London. Two whiskies on the second flight go down well, celebrating my impending return home.

Leaving Kathmandu is a relief, not that it was terrible for me, or because I had suffered in any way. I just know that from the messages on Facebook and other social media that there have been a lot of people worried for me. It will be good to see them again. Also it somehow does not seem right to be in a country on holiday that is in a state of emergency, although I realise that the people need the trekkers and climbers as they bring in valuable income. I would like to come back as there is unfinished business to be attended to.

Being back takes some adjusting, some emotional workings out. Thanks to all who listened to me. It helped. To Andi for driving me home and most of all to …………..

my wife for letting me go and for putting up with the worry of not knowing what had happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment