Thursday 7 May 2015

Preparing for Nepal


Preparing for Nepal

Unusually for me I ordered maps for Nepal late, I am normally very well organised, but this has slipped through the net.  I requested first class delivery from Stanford's of London.

Post comes, no maps. Next day, post comes, no maps. Next day comes, no maps. Day of departure comes, still no maps. So no maps for Nepal.

Phone Stanford's and am told that there is problem with their computer system due to a large fire in Holborn, so my maps have not been sent.

To summarise: The good news is that my maps are at Stanford's, the bad news is that I have not received them.

After knocking some ideas around we come up with a plan I will wait under the arches at the entrance to the underground at St Pancras station. I will be recognised by my huge vibrant red kit bag.

I arrive at St Pancras and receive a call, we confirm the rendezvous. I wait under the arches for my courier. It is like a meeting of spies. I get another call, confirm the arrangement again. Then a man turns up with a white Brompton bike, he identifies himself  and hands over the maps. I return the packaging, we exchange awkward pleasantries. I need to go for my flight . We excuse ourselves.

Brilliant Stanford's for sorting out the issue. Thank you.

1 comment: